Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Colonel William Wyatt

I wrote a story recently about William Wyatt who lived in both Tallahassee and Manatee County Florida.

At the time I didn't know why he was called Colonel since his military enlistment records showed he was a Captain.



I've since found this newspaper article that says he was elected Colonel of the 7th Regiment, Florida Militia in 1836 but never actually served as such. He was away on business when he was chosen and by the time he got back someone else had been given the job in his place.

September 24, 1836 The Floridian and Advocate

I've also learned he was the great great grandfather of my aunt's lifelong friend Mary Lou who lives in Bradenton.

1 comment:

mrkwyatt79 said...

He is my 5x great grandfather. I find his life and story fascinating. Great article.