Friday, July 27, 2012

Two for one

Warion Bunch Horne was married to my great aunt, Sarah Evelyn Green. He was born in 1897 in Colquitt County Georgia and died in 1975 while living in Salem outside of Taylor County Florida.

He and Evelyn were married in Manatee County Florida and Warion, who everyone called "Shorty" was a commercial fisherman in Cortez.

I remember meeting him in Cortez when I was young and later he lived in a house on US Hwy 19 south of Perry. My mother says we would find him sitting on the front porch of the house when we drove thru the area.

I found his grave marker by accident about 10 years ago when I was looking for my great grandfather's grave in New Hope Cemetery south of Perry. I had no idea he had been buried there. Most of the graves there are much older.

A unique fact on his grave marker, you won't find often, is that he served in the US Navy in both WWI and WWII.
Airman Corey Herbert

He was single, living in Georgia when he enlisted to serve in WWI. He was married with two sons in Cortez, Florida when he enlisted to serve again in WWII.

Both his sons, Billy and Hubert served in the military. Billy served in the Navy during WWII and Hubert was a career Army man.

I've wanted to do a story about Shorty but since I didn't have a picture of him I was waiting until I found one. I still don't have his picture but his granddaughter sent this one of his great grandson Corey who just finished basic training at Lackland Air Force Base in Texas. I figured it was time to write about Shorty and I suspect he would be proud to have Corey stand in for him.

No comments: