Friday, April 20, 2012

You don't have to call me Darlin'

One of the first people I met when I started doing genealogy research was from the family of Darling Rowell.

At the time, we didn't know if this family was connected to mine or not. That was over 20 years ago and I'm still not sure how we would be connected. I am pretty sure we are but just can't prove it. He could be a brother or son of my great great grandfather William Rowell.

Darling Rowell was born in South Carolina, maybe the Barnwell District on October 11, 1827 and died of disease on April 2, 1864 that he contracted while serving in Company D of the Florida 2nd Battalion Infantry Regiment. The story is that he became sick in February of 1863 and was sent home where he died a year later.

He was married to Mary Ann Morgan in 1849 in the Barnwell District of South Carolina, at "her father's home" according the the Florida Civil War pension application she filed after his death. They are buried next to each other in the Fellowship Primitive Baptist Church cemetery at Shady Grove in Madison County Florida. I came across the grave markers when I was there about 10 years ago looking for my Rowell family graves.

No comments: