Saturday, March 3, 2012

One of the Ten Thousand

I saw a blog post that estimated we have 10,000 4th cousins. I have no idea if their math was correct but I am sure there are a lot of them.

I came across some photos of the house of one of my 4th cousins. Elma T. Howland was born on August 21, 1879 in Williston, Carteret County, North Carolina. We share a common set of ancestors, Joseph Fulford and Ann Martin who were my 6th great grandparents.

Elma's parents were Benjamin Tucker Howland and Josesh Ann Willis. The Howland family had several children who migrated to Florida along with a lot of other North Carolina folks in the early 1900s but their oldest daughter, Elma stayed at home.

She married Kanelium A. Bloodgood of Onslow County North Carolina and they built a nice looking home at 220 Elm Street in Swansboro around 1907. The house has survived more than 100 years and is now listed on the National Register of Historical Places.




Elma's husband died in 1938 but she lived on in the house for another 25 years. She died on October 8, 1962 but her address was still listed as the house on Elm Street.

1 comment:

Andrea Kelleher said...

Wow I wonder if that number is correct too, 10,000.