Friday, November 4, 2011

What's in a name?

Doing family history research you often resort to google searches to find new information about a family line. An interesting part of google searches is using the image search page

I think it would be a good research project for some grad student to see how many mug shots turn up in the first 100 hits for various surnames and what that means.







If you search for my own name Green, adding a location like Florida you wouldn't see any because it gives so few photos of people in the results.




Search for a more unusual name like Ezell, the maiden name of my great great grandmother on my Dad's side and two out of the first 10 are offender photos.


Try it with some of the names in your family.

1 comment:

Russell Tedder said...

Interesting project, Mark, maybe I'll try it.