Sunday, August 8, 2010

Heare lye Sir Thomas

In researching my Fulford family I've looked at the Fulfords in England for relatives. My ancestor, John Fulford came from there to North Carolina in the early 1600s.

I came across Sir Thomas Fulford who died in 1610. He is probably not a relative, but thought I would mention him because of his unique final resting place.

He and his wife were buried inside St. Mary's church in Dunsford, England. I found photos of their elaborate crypt and posted them on http://www.findagrave.com/


The Inscription on the plaque above them reads:

Heare lye Sir Thomas Fulforde
who died last day of july ano do 1610
Also his wife Ursula, who died 1639
daughter of Richd Bamfield, of Poltimore, Esq.
Their Children
1st Sir Francis, who married Ann heir of Bernard Samways Esqr of Toller Dorset
2nd William,
3rd Thomas,
4th Bridget married to Arthur Champerknowne Esqr of Dartington;
5th Elizabeth married to John Berriman Esq,
6th Ann, married to John Sydenham, of Somerset

No comments: