Sunday, June 28, 2009

Evinced her interest

"evinced her interest"

I saw this on the tombstone of Rosanna Glenn, my wife's ancestor in a rural cemetery in Newberry County South Carolina.

I have to admit it, I'm sure to the chagrin of my daughter Kristen and Uncle Bob that I had never heard of this word and had no idea what it meant. I had to Google it.

Rosanna Glenn was born in 1753 and died in 1825. She was the widow of Col. David Glenn.

The full inscription on her tombstone is below:

"Sacred to the Memory of Mrs. Rosanna Glenn who departed this life after many years infirmity on the 10th of Feb. 1825 in the 72 year of her age. In early life she embraced the Religion of Jesus and by her ardent piety and Christian example evinced her interest in that unfading crown of glory which awaits the Saints beyond the grave"

No comments: